Thursday, November 18, 2010

On Pictures and Words

Emergency "Twitter was down so I wrote my...Image via Wikipedia//The new connectivity
As I am managing several Facebook, Twitter accounts and a couple of blogs - in fact I feel sometimes as a big media owner, even my empire is a very not-for-profit and it keeps me so busy than I do not have time to appear on TV - I am trying to focus on a lot of details, in my efforts (not too desperate yet, but though...) for increasing visibility and getting some profit.
One important aspect is the personalization. Trying to find for each account and blogs representative pictures. It will be far too easy to simply post a picture of myself (which I did only in the case of my personal accounts). My idea is to find the right visual representation for each of them. Not posting a picture is, in my opinion, decreasing the visibility and the seriosity, as you might look as a spammer' account.
Another aspect is updating. As my financial resources are not generated - by now - by this social media activities, and beyond the job I have my family, a very intense social and cultural life and lots of other interests, I have to portion more than perfectly my time for answering to posts, planning the writing schedule, documenting for articles. Sometimes I have to rest a bit, but this is a very insignificant part of my life, anyway. But, as far as I started this "job", I have the ambition of updating at least once the week all my outlets. And by updating I understand more than posting some links I am reading - which I do to, but trying to offer more than this. And, by now, I think that I was able to keep a certain balance.
What I do not like is when I see people who limited their presence at opening an account, adding friends - on Facebook - or occupying a virtual space - on blogger or Twitter - and nothing else. I have, for example, a couple of academics on my Facebook list of friends. All of them, I know, are very active in their real life. Some are having thousand of friends on Facebook. But, they hardly post a link to an interesting article or a comment in months. What is so difficult, when opening the Facebook for confirmation of 100 friends request, to post a link? It rather a matter of creating habits and using some very valuable tools in connecting with people. The same with Twitter. You have new followers - you are announced about this in your Inbox ? If you don't have time to greet them by "names", at least have daily or every two days or when you are entering your e-mail - a short update greeting them. It is not killing your time and it is so so easy.
Happy networking day!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment