Monday, February 24, 2014

The lessons learned of a failed Indiegogo campaign

Almost one year ago, as my travel blogging started to get a very clear shape and was in the stage of brain storming for new writing projects, I discovered Indiegogo. The name was familiar to me from many of my friends working in the startups and NGOs domains, but never entered into the details of the platforms. 
For those for whom the name doesn't say too much, Indiegogo is one of the biggest crowdfunding websites aimed to help individuals and organizations to raise money for different causes. The causes are extremely diverse, from book writing to humanitarian projects. The registration is relatively easy once you have an official e-mail address. Thereafter, you can set up the details of your projects, a description, a short presentation of yourself, the financial aim and the banking details - not open to the public - where the eventual donations will be collected.
Before registering, I was familiar with a couple of successful and failed projects, and courageous enough, I decided that posting my own project, I can get the necessary founding for continuing an ambitious travel projects: 100 Places to See in Germany. The requested amount was not too high, around 5,000 Euro for what I estimated as a full 3-month time of travel around Germany. The estimation counted mostly the prices of the basic train transportation and other additional costs of the research, including some foodie expenses. 
To be honest, the idea of creating a crowdfunding campaign for my travels didn't look very good to me. As the issue was already approached in many instances on blogs and social media, such requests are not welcomed. 'If you want to travel, go to work instead of begging for money' many will recommend instead, and I half agree with this concern. As for me, besides intensive working and consulting, which I am doing all the time, I wanted to keep myself busy only with my travel projects not because I am selfish, but because I want to share about travel and inspire other people to do the same. 
Clear with myself and quite ready for a new adventure, I started to organize my moves for the next 3 months. I opened a Facebook account, I intensified my efforts on Twitter, where I was posting an information about the project at least once the day. I also wrote a post on my blog and tried to share the description of the campaign on travel platforms and other groups dedicated to such adventures. 
And optimistically, I continued to keep doing it till the end of the period assigned for the crowdfunding. The result: nil! Not a single $ was collected. 
Disappointed? After the first half, I already moved forward and succeeded to get enough funds for a successful first half of the 100 Places and thus, the pressure of 'now and never' was diminished. 
I did almost everything humanly possible to share and make enough buzz about the project. What is the reason why I was so bluntly unsuccessful then? A couple of months after, following an intensive observation of the trends and main development of the social media, I realized a basic truth: I was lacking the most important ingredient for a successful approach: the support basis! I did not have not even half of the followers I do have now and I was almost unknown in the world of travel blogging. 
As for my blog, it roughly has around 10 posts, and the pace of updating was of almost twice the month. I was still looking for my voice and was trying to organize a bit my plans and the travel information, but this was not necessarily the good context for a successful crowdfunding campaign.
Now, one year after, I am munching the lessons learned while trying to move forward with my projects. Most probably, will not launch a new Indiegogo campaign any time soon, but at least I know what to do for helping others to be more successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment