Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The branding lesson of a small shop in Anwerp

In the last 12 months, travel played an important part in my life, hence my focus on my travel writing and photography instead of my usual social media and branding topics on this blog. However, as usual, travel gives me an opportunity to discover new social media and cultural practices, to get in touch with interesting people and use the opportunity of spending time in a new environment for finding answers to my old questions.
One of the main things I enjoy while being abroad, is to test the customer service and to notice how the companies and especially small shops are promoting themselves in a very competitive environment. 
Two months ago, I visited the beautiful city of Antwerp and, as usual, I stopped by to a small bookstore in the Jewish area, where I needed to purchase some important books that I cannot find in my side of Europe. After over 40 minutes of searching and considering how many books I can carry with me for the next hours, I decided for a couple of titles and some children books and went to the counter to pay. There, my books were checked and on the last page of each was glued a little sticker with the name of the bookstore, its address and a telephone number. From now on, when someone will have a look to my books, they will see for sure from where I purchased them and eventually, how they can have their own too.
It is a very simple and classical trick, as easy as the usual address of your blog that you add to every official e-mail exchange with your business partners or sponsors or potential collaborations. The costs of ordering the small bumper stickers are minimal and the effects are long-lasting. This is the kind of branding made with heart and without an impressive investment. You don't need to pay advertising in big newspapers or even on websites targeting your audience. Read in the family and shared with friends, the books are always carrying a little mention about your business and this can matter more than some fabulous mention in the media. At least for a medium-sized business, such a local strategy can work successfully, at least for a while and as long as your customers are happy with your products. And if the 'products' are books, consider it a partial success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment