Tuesday, March 11, 2014

What does it mean to be a freelancer, a new episode

Once upon a time, when I did not have any idea that there is a word called 'freelancer', I was day dreaming about me spending my working day at a coffee table outside while making the last touches to my articles before sending to the newspaper, without the need to spend sunny hours in a cubicle. And thereafter, to fully enjoy my time with family and friends, before getting ready for a new article.
Now, my dream is real, and I can write how many articles I want from anywhere. After, I can spend a lot of time with the family, cook dinner, read and learn a new language.
For those who are not (yet) freelancers, such a daily schedule might look as a little corner of paradise. And it can be, as long as you consider that using your freedom is the most important thing that you can live. On the other hand, if someone might have a look at my schedule for today, would not have any intention to be a freelancer any more.
Just a little impression: woke up around 7.30 for coffee and some family chat, left on my own at 8am for: writing a couple of academic posts, answer another set of questions for another academic contribution, sending some pitches and CV for 2 possible new collaborations, answering some 5+ question for a company I am doing customer service consulting, checking every hour my Twitter and Facebook feed for getting in touch with interesting people and ideas, requesting some interviews, checking the results of a 21-page test I did at the beginning of January (with good results and this is by far, the best news of the day), thinking about new writing collaborations, finishing a children book that should be included on a longer post reviewing a couple of children books read recently. For a break, I went outside to pay a visit to the local library and some basic shopping for around 45 minutes. Returning back where I am set to prepare some cookies, listen for 2 hours to some online classes and finish another 4 blog posts. 

Discipline, an important key of success

Maybe this is one of the busiest day of the week, when I do not have too many meetings on the agenda, but this is how I usually work every day as a freelancer, except the Saturdays. But at least one day the week should be full time dedicated to updating my blogs and reading plus finding out important collaborations for the next days and weeks. As I am completely on my own, I am the one who is running after opportunities and the more I work the better for our daily life and the future travel plans. 
Especially at the beginning of your freelance life, there is not easy, not easy at all and having some healthy savings can avoid many dangers. If you don't have any contacts and experience in the area you want to be a freelancer, you better wait a bit and try to think about a transition time, when you still keep some connection with your previous work while building a new network for your new professional profile. 
As you are completely on your own, discipline is essential and a smart time management dramatic. Otherwise, if you plan to sleep till late and spend hours in bed or checking the funniest cat videos on Facebook, there is no chance that you will get some important revenues out of your freelancing work. 
I am very honest and will always say that freelancing is not for everyone, but if you really feel able to cope with all the challenges, there are many rewards waiting for you at the end of the road. Sometimes, it is really important for your self-esteem but also for keeping up the good work and continuing your work! Your one and only freelance work!
Sorry, I should be ready with some cookies for my beloved ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment